Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Internet Safety

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

Having been a forum administrator before, I’ve seen many horrible incidents where online safety was basically tossed out the window. I hope to see everyone here safe online, so without further ado, here’s something that was posted by one of my retired staff, who went by “designerdude.” His source was the RNIB.

You should never give out any personal information when you are online. You wouldn’t give your phone number out to someone you didn’t know and the same applies when interacting with people on the net.

It is best not to give out your email address, but if you do wish to exchange emails with people, make sure you set up an email address that does not use any word that could identify you, your family, or even your general location e.g. the city where you live.

Many people read message boards but never actually post a message. If you
post lots of details about your life then people who you aren’t even
aware of may also be able to work out who you are.

Some people have met up face to face with people they have met online and
discovered the person is not as they described themselves online. Young
people need to take particular care and always bring a parent or
another adult when meeting online friends. It is always best to be
cautious and if your friend is genuine, they will understand.

If you are over 18 and decide to meet up with someone you meet online,
take sensible precautions. Take a friend with you, meet in a public
place with lots of people around and make sure someone knows where you
are going and when you will be back.

Any thoughts?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 390

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

And don’t be a liar. I get it, no one lives the lives they want to, but, seriously, let’s just be honest.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

@littlems.fowl: Right, a very good addition. Problem is, so many people are living different lives online than they are irl. And simply telling them not to won’t suffice to make them change, unfortunately.
@Farengar: No, that only made me realize I had forgotten to do something along the lines of this topic. It wasn’t dedicated to that member. As mentioned, I have experience administering forums and dealing with ridiculous situations, and I like to spread the word of online safety to prevent future catastrophes.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

David Auteur - 03 October 2012 12:30 AM

@littlems.fowl: Right, a very good addition. Problem is, so many people are living different lives online than they are irl. And simply telling them not to won’t suffice to make them change, unfortunately.

If they were from the old site then they probably saw my meltdown when someone seriously lied to me, and so they know better -.- And if they didn’t see that, then: Do not lie, or you will have to deal with me being upset, and, trust me, that is not something you want to deal with. I’m bad enough as is, you really want to be around when I lose it?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Farengar - 03 October 2012 01:35 PM

Who lied to you on the old forum, and what breakdown?

It’s of no matter. All passed issues.

But I have to emphasize (too lazy to look up how to spell that word) the importance of not giving out your number on the internet. I’m just saying that because a few people have asked for mine, and I’ve only ever texted one person I met over the internet, and she’s not even from this site, and I even feel a little guilty about it. Point is: Don’t be me.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

Farengar - 03 October 2012 11:31 PM

And nothing bad can be said about chatting and meeting up with someone online, it is how my parents me…

Actually, bud, plenty “bad” can be said of chatting and meeting up with someone online. It’s the reality of the web, it’s dangerous. You never really know who someone is. Not even if they send pictures or give facts about themselves. There are adults on the net who do not have good intentions, and they pretend to be kids. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have a division (Innocent Images National Initiative) dedicated to tracking down these fakers (pedophiles). There are, however, millions of them. Too many to catch all at once. That’s why they also rely on spreading the word about online safety, and why I am spreading the word here (I do not have any association with the FBI).

“The younger generation wants to express themselves, and they don’t realize how vulnerable it makes them.” -Special Agent Greg Wing

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Plus, lots of people who are crazy don’t even try to hide it, so imagine how scary the REALLY bad ones must be!
I once had a chick “offer” to murder my family (not from this site, obviously). Internet people are scary enough without having to make sure they can’t physicly harm you.