Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Consistence/ congruity

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

So After looking at the series as a whole there seems to be a lot of missing pieces through out the books.

For example, in The Lost Colony we learn about Minerva and end with the closing chapter feeling like Minerva and Artemis will become good friends or atleast that we will be seeing more of her. However we do not see her again.

Another example is of course the controversial Holly Artemis relationship, we see it come. In the Atlantis Complex Holly tells Artemis they need to talk about their relationship then we never see or hear what comes of it. And in the next book it they act like the previous book barely happened.
I know Obviously he wants to keep us guessing about A/H to a certain point but depending on the book it seems their relationship changes.

There are plenty more examples of plots/ things lost between books but i think you get the point. The two above seem to bother me the most.

I was wondering what people think about the inconsistenty and why they think it is there? Is is purposefully done or did Mr. Colfer change his mind between books?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 390

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

I think Mr. Colfer is going through depression. When I go through it then I start writing things and say “f*ck it, doesn’t matter, I’m tired of this concept, WHATEVER!” Maybe he’s doing the same thing. I hope he’s okay.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

Haha, right. Colfer is evidently a busy man. He’s an author on contract (and most likely a timetable to boot), a father, and who knows what else? I would imagine his beta readers would have caught the inconsistencies, but I suppose they didn’t. I believe it was just looked over and forgotten.

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

David Auteur - 28 August 2012 03:45 AM

Haha, right. Colfer is evidently a busy man. He’s an author on contract (and most likely a timetable to boot), a father, and who knows what else? I would imagine his beta readers would have caught the inconsistencies, but I suppose they didn’t. I believe it was just looked over and forgotten.

Yeah I get the Idea of a timetable, i realize when you have long series there will be contradictions, JK Rowling had classrooms and things on different floor different years. But its not just like one contradiction there are quite a few when you add them up and they start showing up in the last couple books the most. I would think he rather push timelines back rather than rush his book. He an established enough Author that he can atleast do that. I should point out i absolutely love the series i just pick it apart because i love it.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

A.F.2009 - 29 August 2012 01:20 AM

Yeah I get the Idea of a timetable, i realize when you have long series there will be contradictions, JK Rowling had classrooms and things on different floor different years. But its not just like one contradiction there are quite a few when you add them up and they start showing up in the last couple books the most. I would think he rather push timelines back rather than rush his book. He an established enough Author that he can atleast do that. I should point out i absolutely love the series i just pick it apart because i love it.

Right, that’s how it often works. “Tough love” for the AF series. raspberry I’m simply glad that Colfer retained his quality of writing, even if there are some loose ends and contradictions.

When my book is available in stores, I hope fans will tell me about any contradictions. xD That’s what beta readers are for, but…