Welcome guest, please Login or Register

The Last Guardian: A Masterful Conclusion or Not Meeting Expectations?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

I personally enjoyed The Last Guardian. I was, however, as some have voiced themselves, disappointed Minerva didn’t even share a moment in the novel.

What’s your take? Best novel out of them all?
How would it rank among the other AF books?

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

So I read this whole book in one sitting however I have not read the very last chapter yet. I decided to wait and finish the last chapter when i have time to absorb it without work every day. ( so i will finish next weekend)

So I will give you my opinion up until the last chapter.
First of all I must say I think this book might be my favorite.

So this might sound sort of random but my mind is fried from work today so i am just going to type then try to organize my thoughts.

I really like the moments like seeing Holly and N1 sitting at coffee, the scenes leading up to the discovery of Opals younger self. It seemed like we were just seeing everything in a different light. Over all i feel like somehow Mr. Colfers writing changed in this book and i feel it might have been for the better?
The continuance of the opal theme did not bother me I found the theme very intriguing despite the fact we have seen her many times before.  The scene where Butler is hit with a lighting Bolt I felt kind of Lame sort of Cop-out.

Favorite quotes/scenes is Butler Stating that anything he says sounds tough. Holly Firing a warning Shot and actually hitting someone is hilarious as well as the comment of having the urge to look at the arrows coming through the windshield trying to kill them.

I also found there are some confusing things in the book.
We did not get to see H/A relationship develop in either direction, we never heard what they decided to do with their relationship from the previous book. ( I am sort of a shipper there)
One of Holly’s quotes really bothers me. She made the comment about Artemis never having a Plan B which contradicts what we have seen in previous books where he has had plan Bs. 

The whole disapearence of Minerva confuses ( although im not really disapointed) me as i posted in http://www.eoincolfer.com/forum/viewthread/70/
Another thing that I find confusing is if the Fowls having been discovering the People many times over the centuries but then were mind wiped then why in the fist book did it seem like the it was first time the People had learned about the Fowls.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

I was very pleasantly surprised at how wonderful the book was. I think it’s probably my favorite out of the series. XD

The “No Plan B” statement also threw me for a loop, especially when in Book Five, Butler thought that Artemis wouldn’t even go to the bathroom without a Plan B!

The “Fowls have been known to fairies for centuries” was confusing as well, but if the incidents were nothing major, then it might be plausible…

>.< I didn’t really like how some of Foaly’s works were not exactly on the moral and goody-two-shoes side… But I was nearly screaming with glee when Caballine made an appearance. Among one of my favorite parts of the book.

I was kind of disappointed that Juliet as herself didn’t appear much, wished I could have seen if Minerva really did meet that skiier and that Artemis ended up with six toes.
And the slight, lingering feeling that the Artemis who came back among the roses isn’t exactly the Artemis we all know and loved, but a different one. There’s no other way he could stay away from trouble otherwise… If those warriors could come back with all their memories intact, why couldn’t Artemis…? Even if he only needs a bit of prodding to remember…

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

15bubbles - 27 August 2012 05:42 AM

I was very pleasantly surprised at how wonderful the book was. I think it’s probably my favorite out of the series. XD

The “No Plan B” statement also threw me for a loop, especially when in Book Five, Butler thought that Artemis wouldn’t even go to the bathroom without a Plan B!

The “Fowls have been known to fairies for centuries” was confusing as well, but if the incidents were nothing major, then it might be plausible…

>.< I didn’t really like how some of Foaly’s works were not exactly on the moral and goody-two-shoes side… But I was nearly screaming with glee when Caballine made an appearance. Among one of my favorite parts of the book.

I was kind of disappointed that Juliet as herself didn’t appear much, wished I could have seen if Minerva really did meet that skiier and that Artemis ended up with six toes.
And the slight, lingering feeling that the Artemis who came back among the roses isn’t exactly the Artemis we all know and loved, but a different one. There’s no other way he could stay away from trouble otherwise… If those warriors could come back with all their memories intact, why couldn’t Artemis…? Even if he only needs a bit of prodding to remember…

I didn’t realize there were so many contradictions (been a while since I read the others). Albeit “no plan B” did strike me as odd. Yes, Caballine made an appearance and that was fantastic, but then, why no Minerva? Caballine gets further backstory and characterization. Minerva? Squat, zip, zilch, nadda.

Rank

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

I didn’t realize there were so many contradictions (been a while since I read the others). Albeit “no plan B” did strike me as odd. Yes, Caballine made an appearance and that was fantastic, but then, why no Minerva? Caballine gets further backstory and characterization. Minerva? Squat, zip, zilch, nadda.

Yeah there are more contradictions , although i feel those are the most important ones. I kinda feel like its been a while since Mr. Colfer read his own books. There are just a lot of plots that start like Minerva then just disappear, and it would have been simple to just phase out the plot with an explanation rather then just blame, never hear about it again. He shouldnt just write it in one book then push it aside in the next, they dont quite flow together when you do that.

Bubbles- ( it wont let me double quote)
And yes the Plan B contradiction bit drives me crazy, Artemis always has one!!!  I loved that we got to see Caballine and get some of the backstory as to how they met. I love Foallys Car!!
I was also disappointed about Juliet bit i wish we could have seen her as well. 

I will comment on the Last Chapter/Ending in Another week when i read it, i have not had the time. Its okay your comment was kinda of a spoiler, smile
I should point out that i still think this was my favorite book, and i only pick it apart because i love it.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-10-02

PM

I hated the ending as it completely erases Artemis Fowl’s memories from the entire saga leaving him broken and no longer an all purpose genius. For this treachery | I shall hate Eoin Colfer until all time periods are no more.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

Zeron - 02 October 2012 10:49 PM

I hated the ending as it completely erases Artemis Fowl’s memories from the entire saga leaving him broken and no longer an all purpose genius. For this treachery | I shall hate Eoin Colfer until all time periods are no more.

Colfer hints at, practically confirms, that Artemis Fowl will recover his memories. It’s in the tone of the passage, and the progression of Artemis Fowl’s mental state. Colfer ended the series because he didn’t feel that he could continue it without cheating the reader, from what I gather.

Rank

Joined 2012-10-02

PM

thanks for giving a brighter point of view.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

Zeron - 03 October 2012 12:20 AM

thanks for giving a brighter point of view.

Sarcasm? wink Or heartfelt thanks? Regardless, you’re welcome. I have a deal of respect for Mr. Colfer, simply as he endeavored to write Artemis Fowl. It takes unimaginable work.

Rank

Joined 2012-10-02

PM

heartfelt thanks

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

my opinion: i cried so much, i loved it, the way he started it the same way he began.
my sister wishes that he had said if Artemis regained his memory and what his parents did. but then the ending would be something like this:
Artemis’s parents were very relieved to have their son back and he eventually regained his memory and lived happily ever after. (of course, not exactly like that but you get my point)
i think he ended this book perfectly. i think the way he made it so sad was just so… PERFECT.
at first, i really wished he had left him dead. but then i decided that no, i couldnt live with Arty dead. (can i call him arty Mr.Colfer?) so i changed my mind.

you should see what i did when i read it! i was crying so bad!

Rank

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Zeron - 02 October 2012 10:49 PM

I was sorely disappointed with TLG. Now I would feel the same way as Zeron here if I wasn’t a serious obsessed Artemis Fowl fan since I was 10 years old. Mainstream kids were growing up with Harry Potter, I was growing up with Artemis. So I felt that I couldn’t hate Eoin Colfer until all time periods are no more because I kind of owe him my childhood. But I really am angry about TLG. The book was good, better than The Atlantis Complex. It’s just that it didn’t give justice to the series. It’s as if Eoin just wrote it for the sake of having an ending because his publishers terminated his contract or because he was out of ideas.

Did anyone else find Minerva missing? It’s as if Eoin forgot he wrote Minerva.

And I really wished he narrated Arty’s parents’ reaction upon finding their eldest son dead.

But I got to admit, the chapter 18 got me blubbering like a whale. I had to stop reading in the middle of the chapter and get a tissue because my tshirt was getting soggy and I couldn’t use it to wipe my face anymore. Whom am I kidding. I actually cried on the first page, when Eoin dedicated it to his fans who journeyed to the lower elements with him. I was like “That’s me!!!!”

The only absolutely perfect thing that I wouldn’t change is Mulch and his troll riding. Classic Eoin.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

choco_cream_puffz - 27 October 2012 06:09 AM

And I really wished he narrated Arty’s parents’ reaction upon finding their eldest son dead.

But I got to admit, the chapter 18 got me blubbering like a whale. I had to stop reading in the middle of the chapter and get a tissue because my tshirt was getting soggy and I couldn’t use it to wipe my face anymore. Whom am I kidding. I actually cried on the first page, when Eoin dedicated it to his fans who journeyed to the lower elements with him. I was like “That’s me!!!!”

The only absolutely perfect thing that I wouldn’t change is Mulch and his troll riding. Classic Eoin.

yeah mulch riding a troll was awesome!!

i cried on the first page too! I was all like “aaaaaaaaaaaaw!”

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

An AMAZING ending to the story, but i could slill think of a billion ways i can continue the series…