Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Speculations & Expectations

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

What do you expect from the AF movie? How do you think your favorite characters will be portrayed? etc.

I sincerely hope for a fantastic movie, like Chronicles of Narnia, that will make it big in the box office. I think it all depends on who is directing and distributing it.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-07-13

PM

do u know if eoin colfer is writing the screen play because have u ever heard of the alchemyst by michael scott because michael scott is writng the screen play so i hope that movie will be just like the book
so hope fully if eoin is writing screen play he can make it just like the book

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 390

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

Movie = do not want. I feel like taking such a fantastic book and turning it into a movie will take away the magic. I doubt they could make it as special.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

Capt.H.Short - 14 July 2012 04:08 PM

do u know if eoin colfer is writing the screen play because have u ever heard of the alchemyst by michael scott because michael scott is writng the screen play so i hope that movie will be just like the book
so hope fully if eoin is writing screen play he can make it just like the book

According to an AFC interview with Eoin Colfer, Jim Sheridan and Simon Carmody will be writing screenplay. Authors do not typically write their own screenplay.

littlems.fowl - 15 July 2012 08:59 PM

Movie = do not want. I feel like taking such a fantastic book and turning it into a movie will take away the magic. I doubt they could make it as special.

It would take an amazing director, that’s for sure. There have been some astoundingly well-accomplished films based on books… and others, not so much.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

David Auteur - 15 July 2012 09:06 PM

There have been some astoundingly well-accomplished films based on books… and others, not so much.

And we’re supporting that risk?

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

littlems.fowl - 15 July 2012 09:12 PM
David Auteur - 15 July 2012 09:06 PM

There have been some astoundingly well-accomplished films based on books… and others, not so much.

And we’re supporting that risk?

What do you we’re supporting that risk? We can hardly prevent it, and why not take a chance? If it turns out phenomenal, awesome, we have a great fan-worthy film that will make for a good memory. If it’s not up-to-par with expectations, then there’s really no harm done. I began watching the “Eragon” movie one time, after I had read the books, although it didn’t match (in my opinion) the “magic” of the original series, so I didn’t watch anymore of it. No problem, I continued to enjoy the series.

The first Chronicles of Narnia, I believe, is one of those examples of a good book-based film, although it wasn’t completely faithful, it had the feel of the book series. Disney, however, was backing that with an enormous budget and extensive resources.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

David Auteur - 15 July 2012 09:29 PM

What do you mean we’re supporting that risk? We can hardly prevent it, and why not take a chance? If it turns out phenomenal, awesome, we have a great fan-worthy film that will make for a good memory. If it’s not up-to-par with expectations, then there’s really no harm done. I began watching the “Eragon” movie one time, after I had read the books, although it didn’t match (in my opinion) the “magic” of the original series, so I didn’t watch anymore of it. No problem, I continued to enjoy the series.

I don’t understand making books into movies. I’ve already read the book, do I need a movie to spell it out for me? I have a perfectly capable imagination.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

littlems.fowl - 15 July 2012 09:46 PM

What do you mean we’re supporting that risk? We can hardly prevent it, and why not take a chance? If it turns out phenomenal, awesome, we have a great fan-worthy film that will make for a good memory. If it’s not up-to-par with expectations, then there’s really no harm done. I began watching the “Eragon” movie one time, after I had read the books, although it didn’t match (in my opinion) the “magic” of the original series, so I didn’t watch anymore of it. No problem, I continued to enjoy the series.

I don’t understand making books into movies. I’ve already read the book, do I need a movie to spell it out for me? I have a perfectly capable imagination.

Certainly. I, however, enjoy the thematic elements. What with my hobbies…

Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

I went to an “8 in 8” book signing the other day, and Eoin (bless him, he was asked 3 times in a row) did say that a movie may very well be on the way.
I agree, the movie may take some of the fun out of imagining it, but thinking from a commercial standpoint, if it turned out well enough the books would get more recognition. Not that being a #1 Best seller isn’t recognition on it’s own, of course. wink

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

i agree. i want a movie out just so there could be other AF fans like me, only difference is that they will be fans of the movie and not the book. the way eoin writes just pulls you to it, incredible really. and a movie just might spoil that.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

af-fan - 16 July 2012 06:47 AM

i agree. i want a movie out just so there could be other AF fans like me, only difference is that they will be fans of the movie and not the book. the way eoin writes just pulls you to it, incredible really. and a movie just might spoil that.

Look at what happened with The Hunger Games though. It was a best selling series, but didn’t have that big of a fan base. Suddenly the movie comes out and you see everyone with a copy of the book in hand. It could really go either way.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

David Auteur - 16 July 2012 06:18 PM

Look at what happened with The Hunger Games though. It was a best selling series, but didn’t have that big of a fan base. Suddenly the movie comes out and you see everyone with a copy of the book in hand. It could really go either way.

Yeah, but every time I hear the HG words I feel like bashing my head in a wall. It went from being a book to being an annoyance. It’s everywhere, it’s impossible to escape!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

littlems.fowl - 16 July 2012 07:01 PM
David Auteur - 16 July 2012 06:18 PM

Yeah, but every time I hear the HG words I feel like bashing my head in a wall. It went from being a book to being an annoyance. It’s everywhere, it’s impossible to escape!

Same with Twilight and Harry Potter.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

EXACTLY! maybe its cuz who ever didnt read the book can watch it, hey but if you dont wanna read thats your problem no need to ruin the book for us!!! most ppl i know that watched Harry potter dont like it, cuz they never read the book! im afraid same thing will happen with AF!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

i read somewhere that they were SUPPOSED to start on a movie for the first book or two in 2008. and that the ending would be TOTALLY different. im like: oooooh noooo!!!!! pleaase no! let this be a nightmare! the endings in the first two books are perfect, no no no no no!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

af-fan - 18 July 2012 06:33 PM

EXACTLY! maybe its cuz who ever didnt read the book can watch it, hey but if you dont wanna read thats your problem no need to ruin the book for us!!! most ppl i know that watched Harry potter dont like it, cuz they never read the book! im afraid same thing will happen with AF!

It’s a question of tastes bud (I say that occasionally). Some people like movies, others books, and many both, including those films based on stories (as opposed to original screenplay).

It’s also a matter of $ € £ & ¥ – money. If a book is made into a film, it’s generally because the studio found it to be of interest, either to their own tastes or market trends.

I, for one, would love to see my stories adapted to film. If nothing else, it’s a mark of success, even if the film is a flop (I would want Disney, Warner Bros, or Dreamworks for mine though =P I hope Colfer has one of these making it).

I read that the story will be slightly altered and that Mr. Colfer had a hand in it.