Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Among Colfer’s Best Works: Your Favorite Part?

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

I recently reread a portion of Air Man and I was reminded of how much I enjoyed it the first time. I though my tastes would have changed since Middle School, albeit tis’ not so.

Discuss what your favorite part of the book was here.

It’s difficult for me to decide. If it were the first half of the book, I’d say the mentoring scene, where they’re fencing. It developed the characters really well.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

i didnt read it. i saw the cover and had a feeling a wouldnt like it. is it really nice? i know that its not fantasy ( right?) so i dont know… im more of a supernatural-mystery fan…

RankRank

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

This is a great book in my opinion, but for older kids. I remember starting it when I was younger and getting bored fairly quickly. But I read it again recently, and like any other book I couldn’t put it down. I recommend this book!

To the main topic I would have to say that my favorite parts of the book were the first few chapters, and then after he escaped the prison. Even though I love books, I just can’t get into it as much if the story takes place in a confined space.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 390

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

(I read it when I was younger and I loved it, but I was just a nerd.)
I LOVED the part where the father was yelling at the son believing he was someone else who had killed the son. (Sorry, it’s been a while since I re-read it so I don’t remember all the names. Connor, or something….) It might sounds sadistic, but it was just so full of emotion!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Leabhar - 16 July 2012 06:43 PM

This is a great book in my opinion, but for older kids. I remember starting it when I was younger and getting bored fairly quickly. But I read it again recently, and like any other book I couldn’t put it down. I recommend this book!

To the main topic I would have to say that my favorite parts of the book were the first few chapters, and then after he escaped the prison. Even though I love books, I just can’t get into it as much if the story takes place in a confined space.

then it should be good enough for me. i started reading AF when i was a kid too and was bored to tears! i cant believe myself know, i could definitly not see myself as a AF fan. but is there any love scenes or something?

RankRank

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

There are no really deep love scenes. You can tell the two kids like each other. There is one kiss in the book though.

RankRankRankRank

Total Posts: 390

Joined 2012-07-06

PM

af-fan - 17 July 2012 11:27 AM

then it should be good enough for me. i started reading AF when i was a kid too and was bored to tears! i cant believe myself know, i could definitly not see myself as a AF fan. but is there any love scenes or something?

AF was first read to me when I was probably in first grade, maybe earlier and I liked it O.o (I came from a family of readers, and sometimes my dad would read to my sister, and my sister and I shared a room for a few years, and in those years he read her AF, Lord of the Rings, and the bible. Anyone care to guess which one I slept through XD)

And as to the love scenes thing: I hate romance books, most likely because I’m bitter, but that’s a whole nother subject. The point is, I loved the book, and I’m someone who loathes romace, so that means it had very little (basicaly none). (Rye approves!)

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

littlems.fowl - 16 July 2012 07:08 PM

(I read it when I was younger and I loved it, but I was just a nerd.)
I LOVED the part where the father was yelling at the son believing he was someone else who had killed the son. (Sorry, it’s been a while since I re-read it so I don’t remember all the names. Connor, or something….) It might sounds sadistic, but it was just so full of emotion!

Connor Broekhart. =P
It was incredibly well-written and yes, the intensity of the emotion was fantastic. Though I didn’t “enjoy” the sentiment. I probably didn’t even understand that part when I was younger (although, considering I read books like The Count of Monte Cristo and Around the World in Eighty Days, I probably did). xD I had to do a double-take when I re-read it.

So we agree. Except I loved it when I was younger too… I was a bookworm, and an advanced one at that. While other kids were reading from the children’s section, I was in Young Adult. That’s to be expected, after one is acquainted with the expansive fantasy genre. Though, growing up with classics, the two worlds easily coincided in my preferences.

Leabhar - 19 July 2012 02:07 AM

There are no really deep love scenes. You can tell the two kids like each other. There is one kiss in the book though.

When I first read it, I was impressed (as in, it was a major part of my memory of the book’s various themes) by the romance. It adds to the tension as well, that’s basically what makes up the first few chapters. Contemplating love in between training, background, and discovery.

littlems.fowl - 19 July 2012 04:17 AM

AF was first read to me when I was probably in first grade, maybe earlier and I liked it O.o (I came from a family of readers, and sometimes my dad would read to my sister, and my sister and I shared a room for a few years, and in those years he read her AF, Lord of the Rings, and the bible. Anyone care to guess which one I slept through XD)

And as to the love scenes thing: I hate romance books, most likely because I’m bitter, but that’s a whole nother subject. The point is, I loved the book, and I’m someone who loathes romace, so that means it had very little (basicaly none). (Rye approves!)

It’s hard to find a book that doesn’t have a bit of romance. Even AF has a bit of that. I find it adds to the tension.

af-fan - 16 July 2012 07:50 AM

i didnt read it. i saw the cover and had a feeling a wouldnt like it. is it really nice? i know that its not fantasy ( right?) so i dont know… im more of a supernatural-mystery fan…

What’s not to like about a guy that looks like early-Batman (Batman Begins) with a motorized hang-glider? xD It’s one of my favorite books, though it differs greatly from Colfer’s usual style. It is suspenseful, but nothing supernatural or overly mysterious to deduce.

Except for those of us bookworms. =P

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

There are no really deep love scenes.
what do you mean? nvm ill just read it when i get the chance XD

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

There are no really deep love scenes.

af-fan - 23 July 2012 06:42 PM

what do you mean? nvm ill just read it when i get the chance XD

Do so! It’s great. raspberry The romance is a part of Conor’s motivation, but it isn’t a pivotal theme in much of the storyline.

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-07-29

PM

I read this book when i was in Amsterdam around 3 years ago when i was 20, and i have to say it holds a permanent place within my personal Top 10 Books of all times List.
Up til this book I’ve only read Eoins Artemis Fowl books, so i didn’t really know what to expect - the story was so different from what i knew, but i enjoyed it all the same.. The thing is, it’s a simple story about love, family and adventure and it’s just wonderful..

i couldn’t name a favourite scene, the whole book is a masterpiece to me. For all who haven’t read it yet, do it! It’s worth the money and time smile

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

BirgS - 01 August 2012 03:13 PM

I read this book when i was in Amsterdam around 3 years ago when i was 20, and i have to say it holds a permanent place within my personal Top 10 Books of all times List.
Up til this book I’ve only read Eoins Artemis Fowl books, so i didn’t really know what to expect - the story was so different from what i knew, but i enjoyed it all the same.. The thing is, it’s a simple story about love, family and adventure and it’s just wonderful..

i couldn’t name a favourite scene, the whole book is a masterpiece to me. For all who haven’t read it yet, do it! It’s worth the money and time smile

It’s very surprising how much of a “golden nugget” this particular book is. It remains among my favorites as well.

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

WOW! it has been a while. I’ve been living on AFC.
i finally read this book! *woot woot* and alot of things were my fav part. the part when i found out that he had been living in a slightly cooler version of hell made me punch my pillow, and when his dad came to see him and started threatening, when he beat up Malarcky, when he escaped and when he burst through the window to save the place. oh and i was soooo happy when the bad guy that i do beleive was called marshal went byebye! it made me feel so releived!

RankRankRankRank

Joined 2012-07-14

PM

af-fan - 15 September 2012 06:07 PM

WOW! it has been a while. I’ve been living on AFC.
i finally read this book! *woot woot* and alot of things were my fav part. the part when i found out that he had been living in a slightly cooler version of hell made me punch my pillow, and when his dad came to see him and started threatening, when he beat up Malarcky, when he escaped and when he burst through the window to save the place. oh and i was soooo happy when the bad guy that i do beleive was called marshal went byebye! it made me feel so releived!

Hey, good for you. Glad you enjoyed it! How does it compare to AF?